Reproductive Tourism in Georgia:
Georgia is one of the growing destinations for medical treatments across the world because of the significant growth in the field of infertility medicine. Reproductive medicine also known as fertility medicine is aimed at providing infertility treatments to patients visiting to respective location from another country. Individuals and couples from different parts of the world visit Georgia to receive the best quality infertility treatments at affordable costs when compared to the present cost of the infertility treatments such as In Vitro Fertilization (IVF) and Surrogacy procedure. Georgia is also making the best efforts to increase the availability of third party reproductive techniques such as surrogacyat most affordable costs for the welfare of the patients. This has also boosted the percentage of surrogacy tourism in Georgia, which provides a favorable situation for the couples planning to have a baby with surrogacy procedure. Georgia is only one of the few countries in Europe, which allows execution of the surrogacy procedure. Georgia is now popular as a destination for international surrogacy procedure, thus assisting several couples and individuals traveling to the country from different parts of the world. The main motive of these couples is to have children and start a healthy and happy family with the help of advanced treatments such as surrogacy. There are various reasons because of which infertility treatments in countries such as Georgia is significantly increasing which benefits patients visiting the country with high hope.
Here are some of the key points, which need to be considered while opting for reproductive tourism in Georgia. These are some of the most crucial aspects, which prove to be beneficial for couples going for surrogacy procedure in the country of Georgia.
- Lack of availability of success oriented fertility treatments especially surrogacy in the respective country of the individuals or couples going for surrogacy procedure.
- Despite development in the field of infertility medicine and treatments, several countries across the world still have some prohibitions with respect to the practice of the surrogacy procedure to have kids.
- The cost of surrogacy procedure in Georgia is much less as compared to the cost of the surrogacy treatments in developed states in the United States and Europe. This is one of the prime reasons for visiting in Georgia to get treated with infertility procedures.
- Another reason for growth in the practice of surrogacy procedure in Georgia is high availability of healthy egg and sperm donors in this country when compared to the other parts of the world.
- The medical team practicing at different infertility centres or hospitals in Georgia comprise of experienced surrogacy specialists and medical specialists who have served several patients with surrogacy procedures fetching high success rates of pregnancy and live birth rates.
- The infrastructure of the infertility centres in Georgia is worth appreciating which creates a positive environment for the patients visiting Georgia for surrogacy treatments. Georgia also comprises of European type autobahns, which is a controlled access highway system, which is also utilized and operated in the countries such as Germany. Even the hotel arrangements in Georgia are of the highest standard as per the general living standards in the present times.
- The visa related laws are much flexible which simplifies the entire process of surrogacy starting from visiting the country to the completion of the procedure.
- The birth certificate of the baby is allotted to the intended parents within day whichavoids wastage of lot of time for the couples visiting the country. (Source: Reproductive Tourism in Georgia, ART baby)
Medical Tourism in Georgia:
Medical Tourism in Georgia is increasing to a great extent due to several advancements in different fields of medicine. The field of medical tourism in Georgia is growing at a significant level when compared to other countries that are putting efforts to raise their standards in medical tourism services. According to one of the reports published in the top news journals in Georgia, the number of the patients visiting Georgia has increased up to 61.2%, when the total numbers of 2017 were compared to that of the first quarter of the year 2018. (Source: Medical tourism increases in Georgia, Georgian Journal) Some of the medical specialties, which are in demand in Georgia and offer excellent results, include dentistry, plastic surgery along with cosmetology. The demand for the procedures performed in the field of infertility medicine and treatments has also increased to a great extent in Georgia, when the statistics are taken into reference. Apart from the reason of effective and lower cost of medical treatments, more number of individuals and couples visit different cities of Georgia to make sure that they get to visit and embrace the beauty of tourist places such as Tskaltubo or Borjomi. This helps them not only receive success oriented treatments for healthcare issues, but also have a great time in this beautiful country at effective and pocket-friendly costs. More number of individuals is going for surrogacy receives excellent experience while undergoing their surrogacy treatments. (Source:Why Georgia, Georgian Medical Tourism)
Egg or Sperm Donors in Georgia:
When a couple opts for surrogacy procedure, it is important to understand that not every couple will be able to have babies with surrogacy along with self eggs and sperms. Here comes the requirement of an effective solution where the couples can go for other available options. Such couples can take timely and recommended assistance of the donor eggs and sperms which will serve in favor of the couple opting for the surrogacy procedure.
Eligibility criteria for egg and sperm donors:
- Egg donation - Egg donation is a prominent option for patients who are facing troubles with respect to quality eggs, which can be used in the surrogacy procedure. In some cases, relatives can assist individuals or couples with egg donation procedure. In other cases, donors with anonymous identity can be utilized for successful execution of the surrogacy procedure. Proper screening procedure is performed for the egg donor irrespective of the type of donor. This makes sure that the baby born with assistance of donor eggs is not affected by any kind of genetic or life-threatening disorders. After finalizing with the egg donor for the success of the surrogacy procedure, fertility medications and injections are given to the donor. This step is similar as that utilized in the In Vitro Fertilization (IVF) procedure. Later, the eggs are fertilized with the sperms retrieved from partner or donor under the guidance of an experienced infertility specialist. Infertility specialist for implantation transfers the embryo or embryos formed in this fertilization step into the uterus of the woman.
- Sperm donation - Couples or single women can go for the sperm donation procedure while going for surrogacy procedure to receive the desired results well on time. One of the crucial conditions in which sperm donation becomes a necessity is when a male patient is diagnosed with a condition called as azoospermia. Azoospermia is a very common condition where there is presence of reduced number of sperms in the concerned male individual. This condition needs to be dealt with in an effective manner. This occurs due to several reasons such as chemotherapy, genetic causes, or even because of radiotherapy. Potential sperm donors also undergo a series of healthcare screening tests to find out if there is any presence of genetic disorders or other health issues which can impact the success of formation of embryo. These tests are performed even before the potential donor chooses to donate sperms to the sperm bank.
- Embryo donation - Embryo donation is one of the best solutions for couples that have medical issues with both sperms and eggs. Here, such couples must go with the medical solution of quality donor embryos. These embryos are usuallythe extra ones cryopreserved by couples. Couples that have already conceived and want to willingly donate their embryos to the needful couples perform the donation. The couples need to sign an agreement while opting for the surrogacy procedure along with donor embryos. (Source: Donor Program, Emory Healthcare)
Surrogate Mothers in Georgia:
Every country has some set of specifications, which are turned in the form of eligibility criteria and followed by every infertility centre while choosing and finalizing with the surrogate mother. This helps a couple save a lot of time in terms of searching a surrogate mother for their surrogacy procedure irrespective of the type of the surrogacy. Intended parents and fertility centres make sure that they take proper care of surrogate mother for healthy growth and upbringing of the baby. Here are some of the crucial eligibility criteria, which need to be considered and followed while choosing a surrogate mother.
- The age of the surrogate mother must be between 21 to 39 years old.
- The Body Mass Index (BMI) must be between 18 to 34 years. This indicates that the woman who will be chosen to become surrogate mother needs to have a healthy weight. But it is important to note that the surrogate mother must not have a weight of less than 100 pounds.
- The patient must not have a history of gastric bypass.
- The potential surrogate must have given birth to at least one healthy baby.
- The woman who will be chosen as a surrogate mother for the couple must not be the one who receives government financial aid.
- The potential surrogate must be a non-smoker.
- The donor must also be free of criminal activity, and clinical mental illness.
- The potential donor must be financially sound.
- The woman must possess a stable and responsible lifestyle, which is required for a healthy pregnancy.
A surrogate mother needs to fulfill all the above-mentioned criteria before getting finalized for the surrogacy procedure. Intended parents and single individuals must know about surrogate mother eligibility criteria to ensure that surrogacy procedure gets started and completed in a positive way. According to a legislation of Georgia, it is finally published that the gestational surrogate mother cannot keep the baby born with surrogacy procedure and does not have any further rights on the baby after his birth. Thus, the intended parents who are now parents of the baby born with surrogacy need not worry about any kind of legal issues associated with the rights of the baby. (Source: Surrogacy Requirements, Conceive Abilities)
Procedure of Surrogacy in Georgia:
The procedure of surrogacy in Georgia involves a series of steps, which need to be followed to properly execute the entire procedure for the couples:
- First consultation: The first consultation starts at the chosen fertility centre with the respective infertility specialist. A phone consultation is also done as recommended by the infertility specialist and as per the requirement of the respective couple opting for the procedure. (Source:Surrogacy Program, In Vitro Clinic)
- Profile created: This is one of the latest and innovative steps, which are, followed at most of the infertility clinics across Georgia. An increasing number of clinics are going for this procedure to make sure that the interested couples are introduced to the surrogate mother in a professional manner. This will also help them in maintaining transparency about the information of the couple to the potential surrogate.
- Review Surrogate Profile: Surrogate profiles are created to make sure that interested couples receive the right information about potential surrogates and can accordingly go ahead with the process of choosing a surrogate mother. You need to understand that the process of screening proves to be a detailed one for the couples and surrogate as well. Some of the clinics take the decision not to share the profiles of surrogate via an online platform. This provides security to the vital information associated with surrogate mother.
- Meeting Surrogate mother: After the respective couple chooses to go for the surrogacy procedure with a potential surrogate mother, meeting of both the parties is arranged. First, an online meeting via Skype or call is arranged. Meeting of the couple and potential surrogate mother follows this. This helps in clarifying the expectations of the couple withthe surrogate mother.
- Medical and Mental Health Screening: Medical and mental health screening tests are performed under the guidance of experienced medical specialists and psychologists. This helps in finding out the present overall status of the surrogate with respect to medical and mental health aspects of the individual. In some of the clinics, this screening is performed while choosing the surrogate for the surrogacy procedure. In case of any clarifications, couples need to discuss this aspect with the surrogacy doctor practicing at the surrogacy centre.
- Signing Legal Contract: both intended parents and surrogate mother sign a legal agreement. This legal contract is useful in keeping transparency alive between the couple and surrogate mother. Couples need to know that the cost of the agreement of surrogacy is included in the surrogacy package. This must be clarified with the chosen surrogacy centre to avoid any kind of confusions in the later stages of the procedure.
- Commencement of Medical Procedure: Once the surrogate is finalized and the legal contract is signed, the procedure of surrogacy is finally started. This starts with the collection of the eggs and sperms from the couple. If the couple or individual goes for the egg or sperm donor option, then the arrangements are done prior to the commencement of the surrogacy procedure.
- Granting baby to couple (intended parents): The baby is given to the couple (intended parents). Right after the birth of the baby, the surrogate does not possess any rights on the baby born as a result of the surrogate's pregnancy. If required, the parents and surrogate are asked to have a counseling session to avoid complications after the birth of the baby. (Source:How does Surrogacy Work in the Southern States?, Southern Surrogacy LLC)
Types of Surrogacy in Georgia:
Surrogacy procedure comprises of different types of the procedure, which is based on therequirements of the couple as well as present legal regulations revolving around surrogacy procedure. This proves to be very beneficial for the couples who have taken a firm decision to proceed with surrogacy procedure. The following types of surrogacy procedure are practiced in Georgia for helping patients to build their family in a fruitful manner.
- Gestational Surrogacy: Gestational surrogacy is one of the most crucial types of surrogacy procedure practiced in Georgia. This type of surrogacy is very commonly used in the country and has achieved excellent success rates. This surrogacy type is practiced in the country, as there is no prohibition law related to the use of surrogacy procedure in Georgia. Surrogacy in Georgia is in demand these days and the gestational type of surrogacy ranks at the top of this procedure's list. The best part is that even same sex couples have the option to have babies with gestational surrogacy in Georgia. Gestational mother is not responsible for paying the cost of the procedure in any manner and does not have any right on the baby born on the completion of the procedure. The team at Ela serves patients with the top quality assistance in surrogacy procedure to achieve the desired success rates. Couples will receive constant support to simplify the entire procedure of surrogacy and achieve a healthy baby at the end of the procedure. (Source: Gestational Surrogacy in Georgia, Creative Family Connections)
- Traditional Surrogacy: Since decades, traditional surrogacy is used in different parts of the world. With time, this type of surrogacy procedure is used much less than other types of surrogacy procedure due to various evolvements in the execution of surrogacy procedure. These days, surrogacy procedure such as gestational surrogacy and altruistic surrogacy are more favored and have got legal permit as well for the benefit of couples.
- Altruistic Surrogacy: This is the type of surrogacy where the couple opts for surrogacy procedure in which a relative willingly chooses to help them out in the surrogacy procedure by becoming a surrogate mother. Here, the surrogate mother is not given any monetary compensation for contributing to the procedure to bring the happiness of parenthood. Patients interested in altruistic surrogacy can go for this procedure, if they have a relative who is willing to help them out to conceive a baby.
Surrogacy Cost in Georgia:
The cost of surrogacy in Georgia ranges from Rs. 30,00,000 to Rs. 40,00,000. This depends on the expertise of surrogacy doctor, infrastructure of the centre, medical facilities, and patient success rates. The top surrogacy centres in Georgia are In Vitro Clinic and American Center for Reproductive Medicine. (Source: Fair Treatment Cost, Elawoman)
Fertility Centres in Georgia:
Couples often decide to directly go for surrogacy procedure without consulting an infertility specialist practicing at the fertility hospital. In such cases, couples can go for getting treated at the infertility hospitals, which have achieved high success rates after performing infertility treatments. The fertility hospitals are ranked based on the features offered at each of the hospitals. There are several factors, which determine the ranking of the fertility centres. Past patient success rates are an important factor, which determine the fertility centre in Georgia. Most of the fertility centres in Georgia are now putting more amounts of efforts to make sure that patients receive quality treatments for achieving the desired success rates. Different fertility based organizations are offering directions to the fertility centres in Georgia, thus helping patients to receive quality treatments in terms of treating their infertility issues. State-of-art facilities are one of the prime features of fertility centres in Georgia, which motivates patients to go ahead with the infertility treatments offered at the fertility hospitals in Georgia. The patients are contacted on a constant basis to make sure that they do not face any kind of difficulties during their treatments.
Here are some of the fertility hospitals in Georgia, which offer high success rates when performing surrogacy procedure:
- In Vitro Clinic: In Vitro Clinic is one of the best and renowned fertility hospitals in Georgia. The clinic has achieved a high patient recommendation rate, which has brought the clinic at the top of the list of fertility and surrogacy centres in Georgia. Dr. Ketevan Osidze is an infertility specialist, obstetrician, and gynecologist practicing at the hospitals. The doctor is specialized in performing infertility treatments such as IVF and Surrogacy with excellent success rates. Dr. Natalia Khonelidze and Dr. Gia Tsagareishvili are the prime management members of In Vitro Clinic. The hospital also offers a range of services in the field of infertility medicine and also prenatal to delivery packages. This helps patients to receive quality and affordable pregnancy and baby delivery services, which yield the best results for patients. The team is proud of several aspects available at the centre. This includes patient-centric approach along with state of art equipments. One of the most important pro features of this fertility clinic is that it has implemented RIQAS (External Quality Control System) from the year 2010. The clinic has also built quality network with international associations and organizations in the field of infertility medicine and healthcare. The financial group, which supports In Vitro Clinic, comprises of quality members, which lead to a systematic functioning of the clinic. Since the time of establishment and active practice of the clinic, more than 7,000 babies were born with the help of infertility treatments. The clinic has a dedicated surrogacy program to serve patients with the happiness of parenthood when surrogacy is the only option left to conceive a baby.
- The success rates of IVF procedure at the clinic for patients less than the age of 35 years ranges up to 62%.
- The success rates of frozen embryo transfer in IVF procedure is proven to be up to 52%.
- The success rates of IVF procedure with donor eggs are up to 67%. (Source: In Vitro Clinic)
- American Center for Reproductive Medicine: American Center for Reproductive Medicine: American Center for Reproductive Medicine is one of the top fertility centres in Georgia. This center comprises of some of the top infertility specialists across the country. Dr. Tamar Barbakadze is one of the eminent and experienced infertility specialists practicing at the centre. Other infertility specialists practicing and serving patients with their expertise include Dr. Irma Ramishvili, Dr. Tamar Muftishvili, and Dr. Zeinab Beridze. Each of these doctors has excellent experience in the field of infertility medicine. lent experience in the field of infertility medicine.
- Beta Plus Fertility: Beta Plus Fertility is a fertility centre located in Tbilisi, Georgia. The services offered at the centre include IVF, ICSI, Fertility preservation programs, and guaranteed programs associated with IVF, Surrogacy, and Egg donation. The centre believes in offering exceptional care of surrogates taking part in the surrogacy procedure. The team serves patients with empathy and compassion, thus helping them achieves the desired results well on time. (Source:Surrogacy, Beta Plus Fertility)
- Surrogacy and Donation Center "Happy Family" is serving patients in the field of infertility medicine for nearly a decade now. The team at the centre focuses on treating patients with infertility treatment services such as IVF, Surrogacy, Egg donation, PGD and PGS along with DNA testing procedure. Dr. Ketevan Osidze is an infertility specialist practicing at Surrogacy and Donation Center "Happy Family". (Source:Surrogacy Georgia - Happy Family)
- Surrogacy Centre Georgia : Surrogacy Centre Georgia is a dedicated medical centre, which serves patients only with surrogacy procedure. This helps patients visiting Georgia to get treated in the right way without facing any kind of obstacles in the treatment. Dr. Tea is a Gynecologist and Endoscopic Surgeon practicing at Surrogacy Centre Georgia treats patients with desired infertility treatments. (Source:Surrogacy Centre Georgia)
- Zhordania Clinic Vake: Zhordania Clinic Vake is an infertility centre located in Tbilisi, Georgia. The clinic is offering a wide range of medical services in the field of infertility medicine including infertility treatments like IVF and Surrogacy till fertility preservation, PGS, PGD.Dr. Nana Janalidze is the medical director and gynecologist as well practicing at the centre. (Source: Zhordania Clinic) The choice of the fertility clinics for surrogacy treatment depends of several factors revolving around the infertility complications of the couples and budget of the concerned couple. Ela makes the entire process of surrogacy procedure a simpler one for couples. Ela guides couples from choosing the surrogacy doctor to completion of the surrogacy procedure in Georgia.