Apart from care and consultation, Gynecologists perform various surgeries as well depending on the nature of the gynecological problem. Common surgeries/operations performed by a Gynaecologist are-
- Hysterectoscopy (examination of uterine cavity) and Hysterectomy (uterus removal) – they are performed in case of issues with uterus such as uterian cancer or endometriosis.
- Tubal Ligation - Permanent sterilization to close woman’s fallopian tubes due to severe tube blockage problems (Hydrosalpinx, Pyosalpinx, Hematosalpinx, Chronic Salpingtis etc.)
- Removal of Uterine contents - Due to dysfunctional uterine bleeding with no medicinal solution, to cure a partial miscarriage.
- Oopherctomy - Surgery done to remove one or both the ovaries due to ovarian cancer.
- Appendectomy - Surgery to remove painful endometriosis implantation or to end future chance of appendicitical burst.
- Cervical Excision - If a woman is diagnosed with pro-cancerous cells identified as PAP smear, cervical excision is done to remove the surface of the cervix.
- Diagnostic Laparascopy - Done to diagnose and cure the sources of pelvic and abdominal pain due to endometriosis. Under this surgical procedure, a laparoscope is passed through a small cut in the abdomen.
- Exploratory Laparotomy - Abdomen opening is done through surgery and abdominal organs are examined to detect injury or disease. It allows for tissue biopsy and other therapeutic interventions for abdominal diseases, which may affect fertility in a woman.
- Surgery is also performed to treat pelvic organ prolapse like cystocele (condition where wall of the bladder presses against and move to vaginal wall) and rectocele (condition of a bulge of the front wall of the rectum into the back wall of the vagina).