Datin Dr. Shanny Hu is one of the Best Obstetrician and Gynaecologist who specialises in Reproductive Medicine and IVF has lived in the United Kingdom over 22 years. She has been recently recruited from London under the Malaysian Talent Corp Returning Experts Programme to KPJ Damansara Specialist Hospital as the Director of the KPJ IVF Centre.
Dr. Hu trained under well-known Professors in infertility, Prof Ian Cook, Prof TC Li and Prof William Ledger in the UK. She went on to complete her higher specialist and sub-specialist training in obstetrics and gynecology at Central London Hospitals (Royal Free and University College London Hospitals) and gained her Membership of the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists, London (MRCOG) in 2008.
She obtained a Diploma in Family Planning from RCOG, London in 2001 and underwent structured training for a clinical ultrasound and obtained a Postgraduate Certificate Clinical Ultrasound in Obstetrics and Gynaecology in London University.
She has strong research interest and obtained a Postgraduate Medical Doctorate in Research from University College London (UCL) in 2012 for the thesis entitled “Cardiovascular Function in Pregnant Women With Polycystic Ovary Syndrome.” University College London is one of the top 5 universities in the world ranking. Recent Nobel Prize winner in Medicine is also from a doctor from UCL.
From the work on her thesis, she has won awards for 1st Prize Oral Abstract Presentation at the Annual Meeting of the Institute for Women’s Health, UCL and 2nd Place in the UK National Harold Malkin Prize from the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists. During this period, she was invited to present at numerous international meetings such as The American Society for Reproductive Medicine Annual Meeting (ASRM) and Joint Meeting of the Endocrinology and Diabetics UK.
Dr. Datin Shanny Hu was the 1st Malaysian to become a Consultant Obstetrician and Gynaecologist who specializes in Reproductive Medicine and IVF at Bourn Hall Cambridge Clinic, a tertiary referral centre which was founded in 1980 by IVF pioneers Mr. Patrick Steptoe and Professor Sir Robert Edwards. She is closely with her patients to gain detailed understanding of their condition and offers and considerate insights that help in creating an affordable and effective treatment plan for patients.
Professor Sir Robert Edwards developed the in vitro fertility (IVF) treatment that led to the birth of the first “test-tube” baby, Louise Brown, in 1978, and ended the misery of millions of barren couples; in 2010 he won the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine for his work.
1. Treating patients with subfertility problems include initiating the investigations for subfertility, such as hormonal, imaging and surgical investigations; and treating the various causes accordingly.
2. Advance individualized treatment of the patient with subfertility includes Intra-Uterine Insemination (IUI), In-vitro Fertilisation (IVF), intra-cytoplasmic sperm injection (ICSI), frozen embryo transfer, as well as an egg donor for those who require this fertility treatment.
3. Transvaginal Ultrasound (3D scanning): to examine the uterus, uterine cavity, endometrium, uterine blood flow, adnexal mass, ovarian pathology, ovarian volume and follicular development.
4. Ultrasound during pregnancy: Dating, measurement of nuchal translucency for Down’s screening, fetal anomaly scan, serial growth scan, amniotic fluid index, uterine artery Doppler, middle artery Doppler and 3D/4D scanning.
5. Cervical Smear and colposcopy and biopsy and treatment of abnormal cervical biopsy.
6. Laparoscopic and open surgeries in the treatment of endometriosis; ovarian cystectomy; adhesiolysis; myomectomy; hysterectomy, salpingectomy or salpingostomy
7. Diagnostic and therapeutic hysteroscopy for treatment of heavy menstrual loss and for investigation of post-menopausal bleeding
8. Recurrent miscarriage.
9. Managing emergencies in gynecology, ranging from early pregnancy problems including medical and surgical management of miscarriage and ectopic pregnancies.
10. Management of High-risk pregnancy problems including diabetic pregnancy, Pre-eclampsia, sickle cell disease, and others.
11. On labor ward, she performs assisted deliveries by the vaginal routes as well as fetal blood sampling, perineal repair, manual removal of placental and cesarean section.
12. Family planning: contraception advice including laparoscopic sterilization.