Fertility Drugs in India
India has one of the largest and fastest growing private health sectors in the world. Many private hospitals are established for fertility treatments with all the latest technology and facilities. India also has some of the most flexible regulations on fertility treatment and that is why attracts medical tourists from all over the world for many yea Relaxed rules and regulations allow the use of many fertility drugs in India in treatments for couples, for singles and same-sex couples.
India is one of the popular destinations for fertility treatments, due to this; the use of fertility drugs in India is growing. Fertility drugs are medicines and hormones used to regulate and stimulate ovulation, which increases the chances of getting pregnant. The fertility medicines not only help to conceive but also ensure a safe and full-term pregnancy for those at constant risk of miscarriage and preterm birth.
Benefits of Fertility Drugs
Below mentioned are some of the benefits of fertility drugs:
- Fertility drugs help to re-establish the balance between different types of hormones that affect the reproductive process by stimulating hormone production.
- They help to regulate the ovulation cycle in women.
- These drugs stimulate the formation of healthy follicles and control their release.
- Fertility drugs in India are also prescribed to normalize blood sugar levels and prevent diabetes, which can be a cause of infertility.
- Many of the fertility drugs in India are used to treat infertility in women contain minerals and vitamins that are very important for the normal development of fetus.
- Fertility drugs help to reduce the risk of miscarriage.
- They improve blood flow to reproductive organs and enhance their functions, increasing the chance of pregnancy.
- Fertility drugs in India are also recommended to boost libido to improve sexual life of couples.
Fertility Drugs for Women
Fertility drugs are the first step of treatment for many women with fertility problems. Fertility drugs work by increasing the levels of certain hormones in your body and stimulating organ function. These hormones help to mature and release one or more eggs each month. Fertility drugs in India are mainly given to women who ovulate rarely or irregularly. These drugs are often used in conjunction with artificial insemination or In-vitro Fertilization (IVF).Fertility drugs are suitable if you have one or more of the following health issues:
- Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) and other ovulation problems
- Thyroid disorders
- Issues with Follicle Stimulating Hormone and Luteinizing Hormone level
- Eating disorders
- Weight problems – underweight, overweight or following an extreme workout
Fertility drugs in India may be given for the following reasons:
- To stimulate ovulation
- To suppress or control the menstrual cycle during IVF treatment
- To treat other aspects of fertility
- To treat an underlying medical condition impacting fertility
- To improve chances of pregnancy in intrauterine insemination (IUI), IVF treatment, or surgical interventions
Effects of Fertility Drugs on Women
There are many different types of fertility drugs in India for women. Some of the most common fertility drugs work by stimulating ovaries to produce multiple eggs, which increase the chance of conceiving. Other drugs may help to prevent premature ovulation and stimulate hormones during Assisted Reproductive Technology (ART) procedures. The doctor may prescribe fertility drugs in India to boost the release of more than one egg per cycle. This process, called controlled ovarian hyperstimulation is often used simultaneously with artificial insemination or In-vitro Fertilization (IVF). With the help of the latest fertility drugs in India, women may produce one or more eggs with hopes of fertilizing one egg.
Fertility Drugs Work By:
- Stimulating ovaries to produce more eggs
- Increasing certain hormonal levels in the body
- Helping to mature and release more than one egg per cycle, known as controlled ovarian hyperstimulation
- Preventing premature ovulation during Assisted Reproductive Technology (ART) procedures
Fertility Drugs and IVF
If a woman is going through IVF, the doctor may prescribe Gonadotropin-releasing hormone or GnRH analogs simultaneously with other fertility drugs to prevent spontaneous ovulation. GnRH analogs work by stopping the production of Follicle Stimulating Hormone and Luteinizing Hormone, thereby preventing ovulation and reducing oestrogen levels. GnRH antagonists work the same way, except they do not cause the initial stimulation of FSH and LH.Many fertility drugs in India have been used safely and successfully for decades but some can result in severe side effects and a higher chance of multiple pregnancies. You have to consider your desire to have a baby against the chances of having side effects and of carrying twins. Bear in mind that monitoring by a fertility specialist using blood tests and ultrasound scans will significantly reduce the risks and side effects of fertility drugs.
Commonly used fertility drugs in India
The most popular fertility drugs for women are:
All these help in ovulation, but which drug is right for you depends on the reason of infertility and the problems faced by you.
- Clomiphene Citrate: Clomiphene citrate is taken to block the effect of the hormone estrogen in body. This blockage tricks your body into increasing the levels of FSH and LH that are essential for ovulation. FSH causes the eggs in the ovaries to mature and makes them fit for release. LH triggers the release of one or more eggs from the ovary follicles. The released eggs then move down into one of the fallopian tubes. Fertility drugs in India like Clomiphene citrate is usually taken in pill form for five days of cycle, for up to six months.
- Gonadotrophins: Luteinizing Hormone (LH) and Follicle-Stimulating Hormone (FSH) are two types of gonadotrophins. LH and FSH directly stimulate the ovaries to produce and mature eggs. Woman can take LH and FSH over a course of injections for about 12 days. These injections help to develop the ovaries and mature egg follicles. The injections of LH and FSH are followed by a final injection of human chorionic gonadotrophin (hCG) to stimulate release of eggs.Both the hormones are used in some fertility treatments because both hormones have an effect on the follicles. HCG ensures the follicle is in the active state to release progesterone and help to maintain pregnancy.
- Bromocriptine: Fertility drugs in India like, Bromocriptine are used to correct a hormonal imbalance that can prevent ovaries from releasing an egg every month. It is mainly prescribed if the woman has too much of hormone prolactin in her body. It is mainly taken to reduce the amount of prolactin hormone and maintain the level of the hormone oestrogen. Too much prolactin can cause problems with ovulation, making it difficult for pregnancy. Women can take bromocriptine as oral tablets or as capsules that can be inserted into the vagina.
Fertility Drugs in India for Men
Fertility in men depends on the quality and quantity of his sperm. If the sperm quantity and quality are low, either it can be very difficult for him to impregnate a woman or he will not be able to help in conceiving. Around one in every 20 men have fertility problems, mostly concerning a low sperm count, while only one in every 100 men are not able to produce sperms at all. Most infertility problems in men cannot be treated with medication. However, in some situations, men are also recommended hormones or other drugs during fertility treatment.
Use of Fertility Drugs by Men
A condition called secondary hypogonadism affects around two percent of men, causing infertility. This happens when the hypothalamus or the pituitary gland do not function normally. The changes in hormones affect normal sperms and testosterone production. Secondary hypogonadism is the only condition of infertility that can be treated with fertility drugs.
Effects of Fertility Drugs in Men
Here are a few ways in which drugs help in treating male fertility:
- Stimulate Hormone Production:Men’s Fertility Drugs in India contain synthesized hormones that form the balance between the different hormones and are responsible for increasing testosterone and sperm production.
- Improve Semen Production:For those men whose genitals are unable to produce semen, the drugs can help to increase the production of healthy and independently moving sperms. It also increases the production of seminal liquid.
- Normalize Blood Sugar Levels:Sometimes, an increase in blood sugar levels can cause infertility in men and women. For these cases, the fertility drugs can help to keep the blood sugar levels under control, preventing infertility as well as diabetes.
- Stimulate Blood Flow:Poor blood circulation in the genital area is also one of the causes of infertility in men. Fertility medication can restore the blood flow in the reproductive organs.
- Increased Libido:As fertility medications also contain some properties of aphrodisiac, hence by using these, the sexual drive of the man can also improve.
Different Fertility Drugs in India for Men
The best fertility drug for a man depends on what is causing the fertility to occur in the first place. Some over the counter male fertility drugs are:
- Follicle Stimulating Hormone:Commonly known as FSH, the hormone is naturally produced in men and helps in stimulating sperm production. The drug stimulates the exact same effects and is administered through subcutaneous injection.
- Clomiphene:Low testosterone levels result in unhealthy sperm and naturally lead to infertility. Increasing FSH and LH hormone production can use clomiphene to boost the testosterone in men. It helps to promote healthy sperm that improves fertility by boosting testosterone levels.
- Gonadotrophins:Gonadotrophins stimulate the testes and boost the production of testosterone and sperm count.
- Letrozole:This fertility drug in India is available in the form of pills. Letrozole helps in the treatment of obesity-related hypogonadism and restores normal testosterone levels in men. It falls under the category of aromatase inhibitors and is a medical innovation to treat infertility in men that is user-friendlier than others are.
- Imipramine:Imipramine is used for the treatment of retrograde ejaculation in men. It is recommended for those men who have very low sperm count or are Azoospermic. Imipramine is a non-hormonal tricyclic antidepressant that increases sperm count.
- Bromocriptine:Bromocriptine is best for men who have an abnormal sperm count. Infertility caused due to hyperprolactinemia can be treated with this dopamine agonist. It stops the release of prolactin hormone from the pituitary gland and increases the level of testosterone thus improving the production of sperms.
Antibiotics and Fungal Treatments
Antibiotics and fungi medicines are used for the treatment of reproductive systems infected by bacteria or fungi.
Risks of Using Fertility Drugs
Like any medical procedure, the treatment with fertility drugs also comes with some risks, especially during long-term usage. The risks associated with fertility drugs can be a simple headache, premature baby or multiple births. Some of the risks involved in taking the fertility drugs are:
- Multiple births: Women are 20 percent more likely to experience multiple births due to the use of fertility drugs. Mothers carrying more than one child are more prone to complications like gestational diabetes, placental issues, miscarriages, and preeclampsia. Moreover, the risk of baby's death in multiple births is significantly high.
- Preterm Labor and Premature Baby: Multiple births associated with fertility treatments drugs trigger preterm labor. The premature babies are more prone to infections and jaundice.
- Ovarian Hyperstimulation Syndrome (OHSS):Hormone shots that are used to promote egg production can sometimes overreact with the ovary. In this case, the ovary is swollen and causes pain. It can also result in reduced urination, shortness of breath, rapid weight gain, nausea, and vomiting.
- Ectopic Pregnancy:Chances of ectopic pregnancy increase among women taking fertility drugs
Finding the Right Dose of Fertility Drugs
Finding the right dose of the fertility drugs varies among women and depends on the cause of infertility. A low dose of fertility drugs can lead to insufficient reaction thereby decreasing the chances of the positive outcome of the treatment. A high dosage of fertility drug, on the other hand, can develop serious issues like OHSS and multiple births. If you are at the point where you need the help of fertility drugs to conceive, do not be nervous. There are highly effective fertility drugs in India that are available in the market that can help couples conceive. Millions of women have successfully become pregnant thanks to the availability of fertility drugs in India. Make sure, you talk to your doctor about cycles of fertility drugs that can enable you to get pregnant successfully.
If you have any doubts on fertility drugs prescribed by your doctor, you can consult specialists at Elawoman. Elawoman can also help you find the best infertility doctor and clinic in your area. Book an appointment now by calling +91-8929020600.