Uses Mechanism of Action
Tazobactam is an antibiotic used incombination with another antibiotic calledpiperacillin to treat many infectionscaused by bacteria, such as urinary tract infections, bone and jointinfections, severe vaginal infections, stomach infections, skin infections, andpneumonia. It is alsoused to treat complicatedintra-abdominal infections including inflammation of the membrane which linesthe inside of the abdomen and the entire internal organs It is also used to treatdecrease in white blood cells (neutropenia) with fever due to bacterialinfection.
Tazobactam belongs to group of Dosage
Always follow the instructions of doctor regarding the dosage and duration
- Treatment of bacterial infection(doses for injection use):
- Adults and adolescents (age 12 years or older): 0.5 g tazobactam + 4 g piperacillin given every 6-8 hours
- Children (age 2 to 12 years): 100 mg/12.5 mg per kg of body weight of piperacillin / tazobactam given every 8 hours
Diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, and skin rashSecondary infection by a fungus, abnormal blood counts, severe allergic (hypersensitivity)reaction, headache, unable to sleep (insomnia), low blood pressure, pain and swelling due to inflammation of a vein, inflammation of a vein caused by a blood clot, constipation, indigestion (dyspepsia), jaundice, inflammation of mouth and lips, , increased liver enzymes, increased blood creatinine, pale red, raised, itchy skin rash, injection site reactions, hypersensitivity reactions Warnings/Precautions
- It is given as an infusion (a drip for 30 minutes) into a vein.
- Tell the doctor if you have to provide a blood or urine sample for any test because tazobactam and piperacillin may cause false positive results.
- Do not start or continue the tazobactam/piperacillin and consult your doctor:
- If you are suffering from diarrhea before, or during the treatment with the drug
- If you have kidney or liver problems, low levels of potassium in the blood, or are receiving hemodialysis
- If you develop new or worsening infection, or fits (convulsions) during the treatment
- If you are on a controlled-sodium diet
- If you are pregnant or planning to become pregnant or breastfeeding