Levocetirizine is used to treat symptoms of allergic conditions such as allergic fever (hay fever), year-round allergies like dust or pet allergies and chronic nettle rash. Mechanism of Action
Levocetirizine belongs to a group of medications c Dosage
- Always follow the instructions of doctor regarding the dosage and duration.
- Adult: 5 mg once daily in the evening.
- 6-12 years: 2.5 mg once daily.
- 6 months to 5 years: 1.25 mg once daily.
Common: dizziness, headache, sore throat, infection of nose, throat, or chest (in children), dry mouth, feeling sick, tiredness, abdominal pain, sleepiness.Uncommon: sensation of tingling or numbness of the skin (paraesthesia), rash, itching, weakness, feeling of discomfort, agitation, diarrhea. Warnings/Precautions
- It is best to take the drug at bedtime as it can make you drowzy
- Do not take levocetirizine if you are allergic (hypersensitive) to levocetirizine
- Take special care with levocetirizine and follow the advice of your doctor:
- if you suffer from epilepsy or are in any risk of having fits.
- if you suffer from kidney failure, because you may require a lower dosage.
- Tell your doctor if you are taking drugs like antidepressants; medications for anxiety, mental illness, or seizures; ritonavir; sedatives; sleeping pills; theophylline; and tranquilizers, as it may worsen the side effects.
- Consult your doctor before taking this drug if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding.
- Levocetrizine can cause drowsiness. Avoid engaging in hazardous occupations requiring complete mental alertness such as driving or operating machinery when taking.
- Do not take alcohol with cetirizine, as it may worsen the side effects.