Salicylic acid is used to treat skin diseases like warts on hands and feet, acne and blemishes the skin. It is also used in other skin conditions such as psoriasis (inflammatory disease of skin causing patches of redness), dandruff, calluses, corns and diseases which cause skin dryness or scaling. Mechanism of Action
Salicylic acid belongs to a class of medication ca Dosage
Always follow the instructions of doctor regarding the application and duration.
Hyper-keratotic, scaling skin conditions and acne
- Adult: 2-6% solution applied three times daily
Warts and calluses
- Adult: Apply 60% salicylic acid preparation as directed; medicated plaster: apply for two days up to 10 days for 1 corn
Common: Mild cold or burning sensation at the site of applicationUncommon: severe allergic reaction Warnings/Precautions
- It should not be taken by patients who are allergic to salicylic acid or any of the ingredients of the acne cream, ointment, solution, gel, shampoo or medicated plaster.
- Do not apply salicylic acid to open wounds or irritated skin.
- Wash your hands with soap and water immediately after applying salicylic acid containing application.
- Do not apply on eyes, nose, genitals or rectum, and avoid touching these areas after applying medication to affected area and before washing your hands
- Topical salicylic acid should not be used for genital warts, warts on the face, warts with hair growing from them, warts in the nose or mouth, moles, or birthmarks
- Do not cover treated skin with a bandage or heating pad, which can increase the burning sensation. You should not cover the skin with clothing immediately after application.
- Do not apply this immediately after shaving or bathing
- Avoid getting this medication on dentures or any other thing that comes in contact with sensitive parts of the body.
- Do not use salicylic acid on children or adolescents without the prescription of the doctor
- Tell your doctor about any other medication you are taking, or if you have kidney problems or if you are pregnant or breast feeding or are diabetic or have blood circulation problems
- The cream, ointment, solution, gel, shampoo, medicated plaster should be used for an indication only as instructed by doctor and not for any other indication.