Find the list of best surrogacy doctors in India who offers the best treatment with the highest success rate. The list has been categorized on the basis of doctors fame, experience, reviews, ratings, and cost. Dr. Mohit Saraogi from Saraogi Hospitals and IRIS IVF Centre and Dr. Kaberi Banerjee from Advanced Fertility Centre top the list of the best surrogacy doctors in India.
Health benefits of Millets are in coronary artery disorder, menstrual cramps, weight loss, and diabetes. Nutritional values of millets make them a crucial part of daily diet. Millets side effects include goiter, which leads to enlargement of thyroid gland.
Millets are cereals, which are consumed for decades. These are small-seeded grains grown as cereal crops. In India, millets are in existence since years in the name of Priyangava, Aanava, and Shyaamaka, now known as Foxtail Millet, Barnyard Millet, and Black Finger Millet respectively. The intake of millets is very common in different parts of the world for decades. It is consumed along with other nutritious foods to suffice the nutrition intake of the respective individual. (1)
In this article, you will find useful information about:
- What are the nutritional facts about Millets?
- What are the health benefits of Millets?
- What are the side effects of Millets?
- What are the uses of Millets?
- What are ways to cultivate Millets?
Millets comprise of several nutrients, vitamins, and minerals, which prove to be useful for the body. You can refer to the nutritional content of the millets mentioned below if you plan to consume millets in your daily diet. (2)
- Calories: 378
- Total Fat: 4.2 gm
- Total Carbohydrates: 73 gm
- Sodium: 5 mg
- Potassium: 195 mg
- Protein: 11 gm
- Iron: 16%
- Vitamin B6: 20%
- Magnesium: 28%
So, you can see that millets are a reliable source of proteins, Vitamin B6, and Magnesium as well. This leads to a balance in the diet of the individual adding millets along with other cereals.
- Coronary Artery Disorder: The levels of triglyceride in the body reduce significantly with the consumption of millets in regular diet. This helps in preventing the occurrence of blood clotting conditions in the body. You can modify your diet accordingly to reap benefits of millets.
- Aids in Weight loss: If you are planning to lose weight, then millets will help you in your weight loss journey. Tryptophan is a substance which is present in the millets. It helps in controlling appetite in the individual consuming it. Also, the high fiber content in millets helps in achieving appreciating weight loss.
- Control Diabetes: Millets slow down digestion rate and keep blood sugar level at a constant rate. These types of cereals prove to be useful in case of Type 2 diabetic patients.
- Helps in Colon Cancer: Phytonutrients and fibers present in millets help in reducing risk of occurrence of Colon Cancer. One of the phytonutrients, Lignan is converted in the body after consumption and protects women from breast cancer. You will be surprised to know that regular intake of millets lead to a 50% reduction of colon cancer.
- Decreases High Blood Pressure: Millet also contains magnesium that plays an important role in relaxing muscles present in arteries in the body. This component of millets also helps in dealing with asthma and migraine frequency in patients.
- Excellent source of Antioxidants: Women can consume millets in their diet to make sure that their aging process is slowed down. The antioxidant properties of millets result in an anti-aging effect on the body.
- Slows down muscle degradation: Lysin is an amino acid present in millets. Lysin is known to slow down the process of muscle degradation. It also helps in building lean muscles over time.
- Relieves Menstrual Cramps: If a woman experiences excess pain during her menses, then millets help in relieving menstrual cramps and associated pain during her menstrual cycle. If you are very frequently facing similar cramps during your menstrual cycle, then be sure to add millets in your diet.
- Boosts production of breast milk: Doctors recommend inclusion of millets such as Ragi to boost breast milk production in the body. Therefore, pregnant women and lactating women are advised to consume millets so that they can feed their babies for a longer time duration.
- Improves elasticity of skin: L-lysine and L-proline are the amino acids, which are present in the millets. These amino acids efficiently contribute to improving skin elasticity. Millets boost collagen levels in the body which prevents wrinkles formation for an appreciating time period.
Millets are useful for the health of individuals only when consumed in moderation. If millets are consumed in more quantity, then make sure that there are high chances of occurrence of certain adverse effects in the body. (6)
Goitrogen is present in millets. This substance in millets affects thyroid hormone production. It also inhibits iodine intake which thereby leads to the condition known as Goitre. In Goitre, a patient is affected by the enlarged thyroid gland. Some of the common causes of Goitre include dryness of skin, reduced ability of thinking as well as increased chances of anxiety and depression. Goiter cases are mostly seen in regions where Millets are the primary source of energy. Some of the most common regions with high Goitre cases are in the Sudan region of Africa. Therefore, it is recommended that individuals who have thyroid problems need to strictly control the consumption of Millets in their diet.
Millets contribute in preparing beverages, which are of the alcoholic type. At the time of brewing millet beer, millets are used to get the right consistency and taste in this beverage. Millet is one of the important parts in the traditional cuisines of arid to semiarid parts of the world. Also, Millet is used as a grazing forage crop. It can then be used for sheep and cattle. (5) (7)
The date of the beginning of cultivation of millets is not yet known exactly but millets were cultivated and consumed in China during 8000 -2000 B.C which was the Neolithic period. Porso millets were cultivated with the efforts of Chinese farmers during that period of time. Since then, millets are an important part of the diet of the Chinese population especially in the northwestern region of China. Millet is one of the top five bowls of cereal, which are produced across the world. Other cereals, which are in the top five ranks in recent times, are Wheat, Corn, Sorghum, and Barley. Since decades together, a large portion of the population in Asia and Africa, consume millets in their daily diet. A good number of people in India, as well as Russia, also consume different type of good quality millets in their daily diet. Millet production is primarily done for the production of bread, snacks, as well as porridges. As millet flour lacks gluten, its flour is easily used to prepare gluten-free flatbread. Porto millets contribute in the preparation of bread bear in different countries such as Egypt and Turkey. (8) (9) (10)
Thus, millets are useful for various health conditions ranging from coronary artery disorders to relieving menstrual cramps pain. The side effects of millets must be taken into consideration to prevent any adverse effects on the body. You can find out information about other food items with high nutritive values in ‘Wellness’ and ‘Lifestyle’ section of Elawoman.
SOURCES AND REFERENCES:
- ^ Millet | Wikipedia En.wikipedia.org, 16 July 2019
- ^ Nutraceutical Value of Finger Millet | NCBI Ncbi.nlm.nih.gov, 16 July 2019
- ^ What Are Millets? Types of Millets, Their Health Benefits | Times of India Recipes.timesofindia.com, 16 July 2019
- ^ Here Are a Million Reasons to Eat Millets | The Economic Times M.economictimes.com, 16 July 2019
- ^ Millet | Health Topics | NutritionFacts Nutritionfacts.org, 16 July 2019
- ^ Side Effects of Millets | WebMD Webmd.com, 16 July 2019
- ^ Uses of Millet Starch | Europe PMC Europepmc.org, 16 July 2019
- ^ Cultivation of Millets Kvk.icar.gov.in, 16 July 2019
- ^ Cultivation of Millets and Their Uses in India | Your Article Library Yourarticlelibrary.com, 16 July 2019
- ^ Organic Millet Cultivation in Yercaud Hills | GNF Globalnature.org, 16 July 2019
Was this page helpful?
Leave a Comment
Thanks for your Comment.
It will go live post Approval.
The information displayed on this webpage covers general information on several medical conditions, fertility treatments, IVF ICSI, surrogacy procedure, home remedies, and their respective treatments. The exclusive purpose of the displayed information is for the sake of general understanding and it has been collected from open sources which heavily rely on research and laboratory tests. However, the information shared here should not be considered as a medical advice or an alternative to consultation with a registered medical practitioner or licensed healthcare professional.
It is not advised to self-diagnose or treat any medical condition or disease following the information given in this article. We insist you to consult a registered practitioner and never try to replace their advice or discontinue treatment in between by relying solely on the information obtained. External links to different websites as well as videos given on the website serve the purpose of sharing knowledge only. Ela being an Independent Medical Information platform is neither responsible nor guarantees the authenticity, reliability, and accuracy of these videos and websites in any way. We do not intend the information displayed here to be used for a medical emergency, if you seek medical attention for yourself (or any other person with whom you want to share the information with), we advise you to directly get in touch with the hospital or the doctor.