PCOD is a medical problem in which the female sex hormones Estrogen and Progesterone are imbalanced.
WHAT IS PCOD?
PCOD also called PCOS (Polycystic Ovarian Disease or Syndrome) is a medical problem in women in which the female sex hormones-estrogen and progesterone are imbalanced. Several health measures needs to be taken to treat PCOD especially for those who are trying to conceive. PCOD is basically the growth of small ovarian cysts. These are small fluid-filled sacs inside the ovary. These are mild in nature but they disturb the development of eggs which is the most common cause of infertility in women. With regular exercise, a healthy diet and proper medications the complications of PCOD can be lowered down.
WHAT CAUSES PCOD?
- Women, in general, produce a very low amount of androgen (male hormone). Androgens control the development of male-traits like beard, in women. Formation of Androgens more than estrogens (female sex hormone) in women leads to PCOD. This disturbs the menstrual cycle and development of eggs in the ovaries.
- This is a genetic disease, too. If one woman in the family has suffered from PCOD, most likely her daughter, sister or niece is prone to get the disease.
HEALTH MEASURE TO BE TAKEN IN PCOD
- Weight losing becomes difficult in PCOD. Inculcating a healthy eating habit will help in putting off weight. Cruciferous vegetables like broccoli, cauliflower must be included in the diet. Red leaf lettuce, almonds, green and red peppers, lentils, sweet potatoes and pumpkin are some of the food that can help in controlling weight and blood sugar level.
- Food items like tomatoes, olive oil, almonds, blueberries, strawberries and omega-3 fatty acids can help in controlling inflammation.
- Regular Physical Activity - Women with PCOD may get fewer periods or even missed one. They may get their periods at variable intervals like every 21 days. Daily physical exercise will regulate the menstrual cycles and improve fertility. Some of them with PCOD stop having their periods. In this case, it is necessary to visit a doctor.
- Medicines-Doctors may prescribe certain medicines which can help in restoring Ovulation. Clomiphene, Aldactone can lower the formation of Androgens and prevent the growth of excess hair and acne. Metformin is a diabetes medicine and it controls insulin and blood sugar level.
- Gonadotropin injections (LH and FSH) can also be taken to treat PCOD.
- IVF (In vitro fertilization)- If the medicine doesn’t work, IVF can be an option. The egg from women is fertilized with sperm in a laboratory and then implanted in the uterus to develop. This treatment has a higher rate of pregnancy and reduces chance of having twins or triplets by fertilizing single egg with the sperm.
- Surgery- this can be an option, usually when no other treatment works out. Thickening of the ovaries or ovarian drilling through electricity can be done to cure PCOD. Doctors make fine holes inside the ovaries that can regulate the release of eggs and destroys abnormal and problem causing tissues. This regulates ovulation and improves fertility.
THESE TO AVOID IN PCOD
- Carbohydrates like white bread, sugar, desserts, white potatoes, semolina, pastries, muffins, soda should be avoided to control inflammation. These food items can increase the amount of blood sugar level and can cause inflammation inside the body.
- Avoid stress and anxiety. Stay away from the negative sources of energy. Include yoga or meditation in your daily routine. It will help in increasing good cholesterol.
- Avoid putting off excess weight as it can obstruct ovulation.
A slight change in the lifestyle can help in treating PCOD. Following a healthy diet and regular exercise is necessary to decrease the complications of PCOD. Medicines and other treatments also work well and a naturally fit body will respond better to these treatments.