Find here the list of best IVF doctors in India on the basis of Ratings, Success Rate, Services offered, IVF cost packages and available Facilities. Dr. Nisha Bhatnagar, Dr. Kaberi Banerjee and Dr. Anjali A Deval top the list of such IVF doctors in India due to their unique pricing system, popularity and high success rate.
Meftal Spas Tablet is an anti-inflammatory medication and pain killer. Meftal spa tablet is used in abdominal pain, arthritis, migraine, fever, and muscle cramps pain and toothache. Meftal spas during breastfeeding is avoided to prevent any adverse on the health of mother an baby.
Meftal Spas Tablet is an anti-inflammatory painkiller and muscle relaxant designed to control and cure menstrual pain (Spasmodic dysmenorrhea), heavy menstrual bleeding, Muscle Cramps, headaches and fever pain. Blue Cross Laboratories Ltd manufactures Meftal Spas tablets. Although Meftal Spas tablets can be obtained over the counter (OTC) but it is always better to get it prescribed by the doctor. Find all information related to Meftal Spas Tablets including uses, side effects, composition, precautions and dosage along with Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) in this blog. (1) (2)
What is Meftal Spas Tablet?
Meftal Spas Tablet is a pain-releasing NSAID (Non-Steroidal Anti Inflammatory) Drug, normally used during Painful Menstrual Periods, stomach and abdominal ache, fever and chill, critical muscle spasms and heavy period bleeding. Meftal Spas helps in relieving the stubborn muscle spasms in the gastrointestinal tract by relaxing and smoothening the muscles. (3)
As a mild painkiller, you can also explore the use of Dolo 650mg tablet in different dosage amount. To know more reach our in-depth research on Dolo 650.
How does Meftal Spas work?
As discussed above, Meftal Spas is useful in treating Symptoms of intestinal and stomach cramps. It works by blocking certain enzymes in the body that results in pain, inflammation or fever. It reduces the symptoms of intestinal and stomach cramping. The medicine functions by impacting the natural movements of the gut by slowing it down. Also, it relaxes the muscles of the stomach and intestine, which helps in getting relief from the pain. (4)
Apart from stomach pain, meftal spas is also recommended in the case of arthritis, joint pain, and postoperative pain.
Meftal Spas Tablet- Composition and Nature
Meftal Spas is an anti-inflammatory drug commonly known as painkiller or muscle relaxant. It is non-steroidal and hence mild in nature yet very effective. Meftal Spas 250 MG is a composition of the active ingredients Dicyclomine or Dicycloverine 10 MG and Mefenamic Acid 250 MG.
While Meftal Spas DS or Meftal Spas Double Strength (Meftal 500 MG) contains 20 MG of Dicyclomine and 500 MG of Mefenamic Acid.
- Dicyclomine relaxes the Aastrointestinal muscles in the stomach and the intestines and provides relief in Cramps, Bloating, Discomfort and Chronic pain in the Abdomen.
- Mefenamic Acid helps in reducing Fever, Rheumatoid Arthritis (an autoimmune disease that leads to chronic inflammation in the muscle joints), Myalgia (muscle pain due to overstretching of muscle joints), Post-operative pain (laparoscopy i.e.), and Menstrual pain.
Meftal Spas Uses and Benefits
Meftal Spas tablet is used to control, prevent, improve and most distinctively treat various situations such as (5):
- Dysmenorrhea (Menstrual Period Cramps)
- Stomach and Abdominal pain
- Period bleeding heavy in nature and consistency. Specific to Period pain Regestrone 5 MG tablets have been found to be very useful
- Discomforting bowel movements
- Inflammation in stomach and muscles
- Migraine headaches
- Fever pain and chills
- Analgesic (Muscle cramps and pain in any part of the body such as headache, toothache, arthritis, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Myalgia, etc.) can be treated with Meftal Spas
Meftal Spas Tablet- Dosage and How To Use
Meftal Spas tablets are available in 250 MG and 500 MG dosages depending on your body’s condition and receptivity.
Normally it is prescribed twice a day or thrice a day in 250 MG during normal pain situations.
However, if your condition is severe and requires close attention, the dosage of Meftal Spas is increased up to 500 MG. However, one should not take Meftal Spas in an empty stomach as it can create acid reflux.
Meftal Spas tablet should not be bought over-the-counter without a prescription. Consult a Doctor first before using Meftal SPas and discuss your current medications and supplements if you are using any.
Side effects of Meftal Spas Tablets
To many extents, Meftal Spas side effects are dose dependent. This drug does not lead to any serious effects if taken for a short time. However, if you are using for a longer time, Meftal Spas can lead to certain side effects such as (7)-
- Infections such as swelling and rash in the skin such as Urticaria and Edema.
- Affect in the central nervous system in the form of Nausea, Drowsiness and Visual Disturbances.
- Meftal Spas can cause severe Acid Reflux in terms of Acidity and Gastritis.
- One of the most observed side effects of Meftal Spas is Diarrhoea. Another Gastro-intestinal side effects of Meftal Spas are nausea and constipation.
- Meftal Spas can affect the Liver Enzymes and Renal Function (kidney function) to act abnormally. To identify liver-related disorders SGPT test is suggested. For more information about the liver test, read our article on SGPT test.
- Some users of Meftal Spas tablet also experience dry mouth, abdominal pain, and vomiting.
Meftal Spas - Risks & Precautions
Meftal Spas Tablet can be lethal if not used under proper dosage. However, there are certain things to consider before taking Meftal Spas.
- Do not take Meftal Spas if you are suffering from Asthma or had any previous issues with Asthma.
- Restrain yourself from driving immediately after the dosage of Meftal Spas as it can lead to dizziness.
- Meftal Spas tablet can be dangerous to people with Hypertension, Hyperthyroidism, Congestive Heart Failure, Coronary Bypass Graft Surgery and Inflammatory Bowel Syndrome.
- Neonates and children should not consume Meftal SPas. For safety measures, keep them a place out of their reach.
- Meftal Spas during pregnancy can create many complications and leads to chemical Pregnancy in extreme cases.
- Are you suffering from excessive bleeding and pain during menstruation? It can be related to PCOS and endometriosis. Check our article to know signs of healthy periods.
Substitutes for Meftal Spas
Following tablets have the same composition and strength as Meftal and are equally effective in pain relief from menstrual cramps.
- Mefacid Forte tablet
- Mepen Spas tablet
- Colispas Forte 20 mg tablet
- GefPlus tablet
- Mefac tablet
If you do not want to avoid medication, you can also change your diet to get relief from menstrual cramps. Read more about diet for period cramps.
Meftal spas Long Term Side Effects
There are various side effects that can be caused due to Meftal Spas. These could be both long severe as well as rare (6).
- Ringing or buzzing in the ears
- Weight gain
- Shortness of breath
- Bloody and Cloudy urine
- Swelling on face, lips, hands, and feet
- Fast heartbeat
- Unusual bleeding or bruising
- Yellow colored eyes or skin
- Peeling and blistering of the skin
- Blurred vision
- Difficult or painful urination
- Excessive tiredness
Meftal Spas syrup
The Meftal Spas syrup has the same benefits as that of the tablets. Antispasmodic in nature, it is used for relieving pain in stomach and a kind of intestinal problem named irritable bowel syndrome. It is beneficial in decreasing intestinal and stomach cramps. This syrup is not recommended for children below 6 months. Pregnant women and those breastfeeding are also not advised to take Meftal Spas syrup. If at all you want to try it, take your doctor's opinion before going for it. Those with a history of urination problem, glaucoma, high blood pressure, nervous system problems, enlarged prostate, and problems of kidney, intestine, thyroid, liver, heart, and myasthenia gravis must seek expert advice before using this medication.
Meftal Spas - Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) & Answers
There are certain things/ queries to understand and clarify before you start taking a dose of Meftal Spas as discussed below:
1. What Happens with the Overdose of Meftal Spas?
Overdose of Meftal Spas can lead to problems such as respiratory tract issues to multiple organ failures if overdosed. Focus on taking the prescribed dose of Meftal Spas. Please rush to your nearest hospital/health center in case you or someone else overdoses Meftal Spas tablet.
2- How to Store Meftal SPas Tablet?
Store Meftal Spas at room temperature. Try not freezing them by keeping them in a refrigerator. Keep them away from children and pets. Also do not flush them away down the toilet as it can contribute towards environmental degradation.
3- What Happens if Expired Dose of Meftal Spas is consumed?
Expired Meftal SPS will work as ineffective. However, in certain situation/s, it can lead to various allergies and infection. Rush to your nearest hospital/health center if you happen to consume the expired dose of Meftal Spas.
4- Can Meftal Spas cause infertility?
Mefenamic Acid found as an ingredient in Meftal Spas has an adverse impact on women fertility. It can cause a delay in ovulation as well as less pain tolerance during delivery. Another ingredient of Meftal Spas, Dicyclomine is not known to cause any fertility issues. There are other factors that affect fertility in both men and women. To explore, visit our article on lifestyle factors that affect fertility.
5- Is it safe to drive after taking Meftal Spas?
Meftal Spas can induce head spinning sensations and drowsiness. It can also have a temporary effect on vision sometimes. Better to avoid driving right after taking Meftal.
6- Does Meftal reduce bleeding during periods?
Meftal reduces heavy bleeding and pain during periods. Overdose can result in a sudden stop in blood flow. Always take in a quantity prescribed by your doctor.
7- Does Meftal Spas delay periods?
Meftal does not interfere with your menstrual cycles if you use it for 1-2 days during periods. Long-term usage can cause irregular periods.
8- How many Meftal tablets can be taken in a day?
You can take a maximum of 3 Meftal tablets in a day. Higher dosage can have an adverse impact on your body.
9- Can Meftal be taken during pregnancy?
No. It is not safe to take Meftal during pregnancy. It should be completely avoided and should be substituted with a home remedy or pregnancy safe alternatives. Pregnant women should also take care of the food they are eating. You can also read our article on the best foods to eat when pregnant.
10- Is Meftal safe during breastfeeding or lactation?
Meftal ingredients can possibly be transferred to your baby through breastmilk. Do not take it unless and until advised by your doctor.
11. Can meftal spas be used for headaches?
Meftal Spas treats mild to moderately severe pains. It can be used for headaches but the dosage should be limited as advised by the doctor.
12. Is Meftal Spas safe during periods?
Meftal Spas is safe during periods with a dosage of one to two tablets (250 MG) consumed per cycle. It is beneficial in relieving excessive period pain or menstrual cramps. It has Dicyclomine, which relaxes muscle pain, and Mefenamic Acid that is an NSAID.
13. Meftal spas dosage during periods?
You can safely consume around 1 to 2 tablets of Meftal Spas 250 mg in a day to ease menstrual pain. If the dosage gets more than this then it may lead to side effects.
14. Expiry duration and price of Meftal Spas
The exact time duration after which Meftal Spas is medically not usable is 48 months or 4 years after its manufacturing date. The price of 1 strip of Meftal Spas (250 mg) is Rs. 36 and it contains 10 tablets.
15. Meftal Spas for kids
Meftal spas suspension is available for the kids to get them relief in stomach cramps. This suspension can be used for the infants and kids aging from 6 months to 5 years. Infants below 6 months of age shall never be given Meftal Spas.
In case you are specifically looking for relief from back pain, headache or any kind of inflammation than doing explore the use of Serratiopeptidase Tablets. However, if you are looking for pain relief specific to Fever then Keterol DT is found to be the most effective.
SOURCES AND REFERENCES:
- ^ Meftal-Spas - Drugs Drugs.com, 05 July 2019
- ^ A Spas Tablet, Sublingual - WebMD Webmd.com, 05 July 2019
- ^ Meftal-Spas - Drugs Drugs.com, 05 July 2019
- ^ Meftal Spas - Everything you need to know about it - HealthClues Healthclues.net, 05 July 2019
- ^ A-Spas Sublingual : Uses, Side Effects, Interactions | WebMD Webmd.com, 05 July 2019
- ^ Mefenamic - Uses, Side Effects, Interactions - Canoe Chealth.canoe.com, 05 July 2019
Was this page helpful?
Leave a Comment
Thanks for your Comment.
It will go live post Approval.
The information displayed on this webpage covers general information on several medical conditions, fertility treatments, IVF ICSI procedure, home remedies, and their respective treatments. The exclusive purpose of the displayed information is for the sake of general understanding and it has been collected from open sources which heavily rely on research and laboratory tests. However, the information shared here should not be considered as a medical advice or an alternative to consultation with a registered medical practitioner or licensed healthcare professional.
It is not advised to self-diagnose or treat any medical condition or disease following the information given in this article. We insist you to consult a registered practitioner and never try to replace their advice or discontinue treatment in between by relying solely on the information obtained. External links to different websites as well as videos given on the website serve the purpose of sharing knowledge only. Ela being an Independent Medical Information platform is neither responsible nor guarantees the authenticity, reliability, and accuracy of these videos and websites in any way. We do not intend the information displayed here to be used for a medical emergency, if you seek medical attention for yourself (or any other person with whom you want to share the information with), we advise you to directly get in touch with the hospital or the doctor.