Find the list of best surrogacy doctors in India who offers the best treatment with the highest success rate. The list has been categorized on the basis of doctors fame, experience, reviews, ratings, and cost. Dr. Mohit Saraogi from Saraogi Hospitals and IRIS IVF Centre and Dr. Kaberi Banerjee from Advanced Fertility Centre top the list of the best surrogacy doctors in India.
IMSI IVF procedure usage is on the rise due to increased IVF success rates with the involvement of IMSI procedure. IMSI fertility treatment costs more than ICSI procedure due to increased success rates. IMSI IVF procedure has high success rates among most of the male infertility treatments.
Let’s Discuss in More Detail About IMSI:
- What is IMSI?
- Why is IMSI preferred over ICSI?
- When not to go for IMSI?
- When to perform IMSI?
- What is the procedure of IMSI?
- What is the cost of IVF with IMSI treatment?
- What are the advantages of IMSI?
- What are the Disadvantages of IMSI?
- Does IMSI really improve IVF success rate?
IMSI stands for Intracytoplasmic Morphologically Selected Sperm Injection and is a modification of the standard ICSI procedure. IMSI is a method used during IVF in which assessment and selection of sperms are done through the use of high magnification digital imaging microscope for the purpose of injecting into the egg. (1) (2)
It is suggested that IMSI may improve pregnancy rates in some patients. The major reason why IMSI is preferred over ICSI is as follows (3):
- IMSI involves usage of a higher magnification microscope to assess sperm morphology.
- At higher power, the embryologist can identify tiny defects in the sperm head that would not otherwise be visible with standard ICSI.
- The selection of those sperms may improve results for couples with embryo implantation failures, severe teratozoospermia (abnormal sperm shape) or high levels of DNA fragmentation.
It might interest you: How Long Does Sperm Live?
IMSI procedure is complex and time-consuming. There is a strict criterion regarding who might be offered this technique. Go for IMSI, only if benefits of IMSI outweigh benefits of ICSI. (4)
1- If there is no clinically proven data that IMSI will improve a patient’s outcome.
2- Additional time constraints are having a negative impact on the fertilization of the egg.
IMSI is a selection tool, to aid embryologists in selecting the best sperm for ICSI. IMSI will not be suitable technique if the sperm count or motility already limits the number of sperm available for ICSI.
IMSI is a procedure that stands out for its exclusivity. One just cannot opt for IMSI without a Doctor’s/Clinic’s approval. You must meet the criteria discussed below to get IMSI done along with IVF
1- Two failed IVF with ICSI Cycles(Failed cycles with no pregnancy or first-trimester miscarriage). (8)
2- More than 90% of abnormal forms in sperm.
3- IMSI can be done if the male does have sufficient motile sperm for selection.
4- Males who show high sperm DNA fragmentation. Sperm DNA fragmentation indicates there is a problem in the genetic material of the sperm and hence it will result in IVF failures and infertility.
Please note that even if you meet one of these criteria, you may be excluded if there are an insufficient number of motile sperms in the sample on the day of egg collection.
1- Fertility medications are given to the woman to stimulate the ovaries for the development of multiple mature follicles. (7)
2- The woman is given an hCG (human chorionic gonadotropin) injection prior to 36 hours of egg collection. hCG hormone induces ovulation and eggs become ready to be released.
3- The woman is given local anesthesia before performing the egg extraction process.
4- Gynecologist uses a needle to extract mature eggs from the ovaries.
5- Sperms are collected and studied under high power microscope which can magnify the sperm size to 6000 times of its original size.
For more information, read: What is Normal Sperm Count for Pregnancy
6- Embryologists identify sperms normal in size and shape. They also look out for the sperm with higher motility.
7- Once the higher quality sperm is detected, it is injected into the egg for the fertilization of the egg.
The cost of IVF with IMSI ranges from INR 2.5 lakhs to INR 3.2 lakhs.
ICSI vs. IMSI
2- The time factor involved during the IMSI procedure acts against it most often. IMSI takes longer time than ICSI.
3- IMSI can sometimes reduce the chances of conception also. Normally, during IMSI, it takes a long time to observe and pull out the best sperm from the sample. Until that time, the eggs are already collected and due to long exposure, there are chances of the eggs getting damaged quite often as they are extra sensitive.
4- IMSI process is more costly as compared to ICSI.
IMSI procedure has been able to catch a lot of attention due to their deep-rooted scientific engagement. Some of the benefits of IMSI are- (5)
- IMSI entails objective classification of sperm which almost removes the risk of inter-technician variation.
- IMSI delivers fast and rapid analysis, which is scientifically based.
- IMSI allows standardization of user-selected sperm for ICSI.
- In IMSI, no manual measurements of sperm are required.
- As IMSI involves the latest technology, one can save videos and snapshots of the sperm assessment and selection procedure for quality control and archive.
- When the couples face repeated unsuccessful IVF cycles, IMSI is an option to improve the chances of success.
- IMSI is a time-consuming process ranging from 5 to 5 hours.
- It involves a higher cost due to the usage of a high magnifying microscope.
- Sometimes, overtime in selecting the best sperm can damage the egg. Hence, the IMSI process may not be effective in improving the fertilization of the egg.
1- It is medically tested that there is not much difference in the pregnancy rate with ICSI and IMSI. The main difference lies in the delivery rate in both methods. Females with IMSI treatment deliver live and defect free babies as compared to the ICSI patients.
2- IMSI showed higher pregnancy rates for the couples when they opt for this technique after failed ICSI cycle rather than going again for ICSI.
3- It decreases the chances of miscarriage.
Surely, IMSI is an advanced technology which can identify high-quality sperms. It can stop birth defects and pregnancy failure related to sperm abnormality. But IMSI is a time consuming and complex procedure. It is better to medically analyze the benefits of IMSI for a patient before performing it.
This document has been edited with the instant web content converting tool which can be found at htmleditor.tools - give it a try.
SOURCES AND REFERENCES:
- ^ Intracytoplasmic Morphologically Selected Sperm Injection (IMSI) | NCBI Ncbi.nlm.nih.gov, 13 July 2019
- ^ IMSI | NCBI Ncbi.nlm.nih.gov, 13 July 2019
- ^ ICSI / IMSI | Reproductive Health Group Reproductivehealthgroup.co.uk, 13 July 2019
- ^ IMSI | Fertility and Sterility Fertstert.org, 13 July 2019
- ^ The Benefits of Intracytoplasmic Morphologically Selected Sperm Injection (IMSI) Clinicaltrials.gov, 13 July 2019
- ^ Imsi IVF in Vitro Fertilization What Does It Involve? Cambridge-ivf.org.uk, 13 July 2019
- ^ What is the procedure of IMSI? Semanticscholar.org, 13 July 2019
- ^ Intracytoplasmic Morphologically Selected Sperm Injection | Wikipedia En.wikipedia.org, 13 July 2019
Was this page helpful?
Leave a Comment
Thanks for your Comment.
It will go live post Approval.
The information displayed on this webpage covers general information on several medical conditions, fertility treatments, IVF ICSI, surrogacy procedure, home remedies, and their respective treatments. The exclusive purpose of the displayed information is for the sake of general understanding and it has been collected from open sources which heavily rely on research and laboratory tests. However, the information shared here should not be considered as a medical advice or an alternative to consultation with a registered medical practitioner or licensed healthcare professional.
It is not advised to self-diagnose or treat any medical condition or disease following the information given in this article. We insist you to consult a registered practitioner and never try to replace their advice or discontinue treatment in between by relying solely on the information obtained. External links to different websites as well as videos given on the website serve the purpose of sharing knowledge only. Ela being an Independent Medical Information platform is neither responsible nor guarantees the authenticity, reliability, and accuracy of these videos and websites in any way. We do not intend the information displayed here to be used for a medical emergency, if you seek medical attention for yourself (or any other person with whom you want to share the information with), we advise you to directly get in touch with the hospital or the doctor.