IUI or Intrauterine Insemination is a fertility treatment that has been on the surface of Earth since as long as 1900. While it was initially a method for breeding animals, humans have adapted the treatment too. IUI is a fertility treatment involving placement of sperm inside a woman's uterus to allow fertilization. The artificial insemination, IUI treatment or IUI procedure is most commonly used for problems owing to low sperm count and decreased sperm mobility. While IVF is a popular fertility treatment, IUI fares well given its low cost and less invasive nature. IUI treatment or IUI procedure is arguably one of the best fertility treatments for any of the following conditions too:
1. Donor sperm:For women who need to opt for donor sperm to get pregnant, IUI treatment or IUI procedure is the most common method for conceiving.
2. Unexplained infertility: IUI is often performed as the first treatment for unexplained infertility along with ovulation-inducing medications.
3. Endometriosis related infertility: For infertility related to endometriosis, using medications to obtain a good quality egg along with performing artificial insemination, IUI treatment or IUI procedure is often the initial treatment offered.
4. Mild male factor infertility (subfertility):Your partner's semen analysis is one of the first steps in the medical assessment of infertility. The analysis may show below-average sperm concentration, weak movement (motility) of sperm, or abnormalities in sperm size and shape (morphology).
5. Cervical factor infertility:Mucus produced by the cervix around the time of ovulation provides an ideal environment for sperm to travel from vagina to the fallopian tubes. But, if the mucus is too thick, it may impede the sperm's journey. IUI bypasses the cervix, depositing sperm directly into your uterus and increasing the number of sperms available for the egg.
6. Semen allergy: Sometimes a woman could have an allergy to proteins in her partner's semen. In this case, ejaculation into vagina causes redness, burning and swelling where semen comes into contact with the skin. A condom can help you avoid allergy, but it also prevents pregnancy. If you're highly sensitive, artificial insemination, IUI treatment or IUI procedure can be effective, since many of the semen's proteins are removed before sperm insertion.
Though artificial insemination, IUI treatment or IUI procedure is an effective treatment for infertility, it has a high success rate only among women below the age of 41.
Traditional Surrogacy is where the surrogate mother is the biological mother of the child because she uses her own egg that is fertilized by the intended fathers sperm. While in Gestational Surrogacy the woman carries the embryo of the intended couple through IVF process and is not biologically related to the child. She just acts as a carrier.
IUI costs in Delhi with highest success rates starts from Rs.10000 and goes up to Rs. 35000. The costs vary on the basis of the quality of treatment provided and thus have a direct implication on the success rates of the treatment. However, it is to keep in mind that, IUI costs in Rupees in Delhi may vary as per the type of IUI performed. For natural cycle IUI, the cost is minimum, however, for Induced Cycle IUI (medicine induced), IUI costs in rupees in Delhi starts from Rs. 18000and goes up to Rs.35000.
IUI costs in Kolkata range between Rs. 10,500 to Rs. 37,750 including medicines and disposables. The cost varies based on experience of the gynecologist, history of past successful cases, reputation and quality of medication and treatment used. It also varies based on type of IUI, whether its natural cycle IUI or its Induced Cycle IUI.