Find the list of best surrogacy doctors in India who offers the best treatment with the highest success rate. The list has been categorized on the basis of doctors fame, experience, reviews, ratings, and cost. Dr. Mohit Saraogi from Saraogi Hospitals and IRIS IVF Centre and Dr. Kaberi Banerjee from Advanced Fertility Centre top the list of the best surrogacy doctors in India.
Ovulation means a release of a mature egg from the ovary during its fertile stage. Ovulation predictor is necessary to find a fertile window for successful conception. Ovulation predictor kit helps to track your menstrual cycle. The ovulation symptoms are changes in cervical mucus, breast tenderness.
Well, if you are trying to conceive then it is important to know when you are the most fertile and by saying that it means to keep a watchful eye on fertility window. The fertility window is the time period that includes the ovulation day and five days preceding it. The time around ovulation is the best time to get pregnant with increased chances of conception. In this article, we will take you through different aspects and valuable information about ovulation and ways to identify it.
What is ovulation?
Ovulation is a phase when a mature egg is released from the ovary once every month. It moves down through the fallopian tube and stays there till fertilization. You can get pregnant only when a sperm fertilizes the egg. It usually occurs 12 to 16 days before the onset of the next cycle.
Why is it important to predict ovulation?
The main reason for tracking the ovulation is to find the fertile window, as it is the only time when the chances of conceiving are highest for a woman. Also, you cannot achieve pregnancy if you are not ovulating. You are most likely ovulating if you have regular periods and PMS symptoms.
How to track ovulation?
- Note down the length of your menstrual periods. Day one is noted down as the first day of the menstrual cycle and the last day is counted as one day before the next cycle starts.
- Ovulation takes place about two weeks prior to the next expected period. So, if your average menstrual cycle is 28 days then you will ovulate around day 14.
Keep in mind that the 'fertile window' is five days leading to ovulation, which also includes the ‘ovulation’ day. The three days before ovulation and ovulation day are the most fertile phase in a woman’s cycle. It is the phase where a woman has the highest chances of conceiving. Depending upon the length of period cycle, the most fertile days in the menstrual cycle varies:
- If you have 28 days menstrual cycle, ovulation will generally occur on day 14. The most fertile days will be 12 and 13.
- In case, if you have longer menstrual cycles of 35 days then ovulation can occur on day 21. And the most fertile days will be 19, 20 and 21.
- If your cycles are shorter i.e. of 21 days between the periods then ovulation is likely to take place on day 7 and the most fertile days will be 5, 6 and 7.
Download the best period tracker app for recording your fertile phase.
How to know when I am ovulating?
Every woman has her own definite cycle length that can vary from time to time. Thus, sometimes it is hard to know when you are ovulating as well as on which day you are ovulating. For knowing and tracking the ovulation, you should monitor your fertility signs throughout the cycle and record them on a chart.
You can also use the below methods to know when ovulation is about to take place:
1. Observe the changes in your mucus
During the time of ovulation, you will notice your vagina’s mucus is clear, slippery and slick with egg white consistency. It is the best sign of your ovulation and a prime time for action.
2. You can use ovulation predictor kits (OPKs)
You can test with OPK a few days prior the estimated day of ovulation. Deduct the 17 days from your cycle length and begin testing from the resultant day of your cycle.
3. Record basal body temperature (BBT)
Make a habit of recording BBT in the early morning before going out of the bed. For an accurate measurement, use special basal body temperature thermometer. BBT increases about half a degree Celsius’ once the ovulation has occurred. Once you start recording the temperature it will be easy to determine when the temperature will elevate and ovulation will occur. It will also help you to chalk out the ovulation pattern.
4. Know your cervix position
Knowing the position of the cervix is another way to know your fertile days. There is a continuous change in the cervix position during the course of the menstrual cycle due to the effect of estrogen hormone. Cervix usually remains closed, firm and low when you are not ovulating but during the time of ovulation when the fertility becomes higher, the cervix turns open, softer in texture and high. It is not easily reachable during this fertile phase.
5. Use Ovulation Calculator
You can also use the ovulation calculator to track your monthly fertile phase. You can enter the dates of your last menstrual cycle and the cycle length of your periods to help you in your next cycle prediction. The cycle tracker then determines whether your cycles are regular or not and accordingly will identify your ‘fertile window’ and updates you about the ovulation date.
What are the symptoms of ovulation?
- Cervical mucus changes: With the advancement of ovulation day, the level of estrogen hormone increases resulting in a clear or stretchy discharge.
- Tenderness in breast: A change brought about in the hormones at the time of ovulation causes soreness or tenderness in the breast.
- Mild abdominal cramps: For some women, it can trigger on mild cramps in the area around abdomen on either side. The sensation of cramps is also termed as Mittelschmerz.
- Heightened sense of smell: Some of the women may experience an increased sense of smell and this is due to the fact that during ovulation the female body is more prone to get attracted towards male pheromones.
- Changes in libido: It simply means that closer to ovulation, a woman has a higher sex drive, which is instigated by the hormone rush in the body.
- Changes in cervix position: Cervix tends to change position throughout the menstrual cycle. It is only close to ovulation that it gets high, soft and open.
What are the chances of conceiving during ovulation?
With regular intercourse during the fertile window that is five days prior to the ovulation date, the chances of conception are as high as 10%.
How to use Ela App for tracking periods and ovulation?
You can download Ela app on your device and it will update you about your next menstrual period and ovulation. A woman can ovulate anywhere between day 8 and day 20 during their cycle. The ovulation day can change every month.
You can use Ela app for several purposes such as:
- Fertility Tracker- It is an accurate ovulation and period tracker, which uses machine learning data techniques to come up with your fertile window in every month.
- Ovulation Calculator- Backed with patented data algorithm, inbuilt Ovulation Calculator helps you with an ovulation chart.
- Best Days Prediction- If you are planning pregnancy then Ela app will help in with the best days and fertile period with the most accurate fertility prediction.
Achieving pregnancy is linked with ovulation hence it is crucial to be aware of vital information covered here. Ela App helps you in staying informed about these changes and helps you learn in-detail all that you need to know about fertility and conceiving along with efficiently tracking down your ovulation.
SOURCES AND REFERENCES:
1. How to conceive - things to remember when you are thinking how to conceive trying to conceive, Elawoman - 2017
2. Top 5 tips on how to get pregnant fast get pregnant, Elawoman - 2017
3. How to detect ovulation instantly? - 5 smart ways to do it successfully Ovulation, Elawoman - 2017
4. Fallopian tube blockage - symptoms of blocked fallopian tubes, causes, and treatment fallopian tube, Elawoman - 2017
5. Most effective ways to track ovulation with irregular period cycle track your ovulation, Elawoman - 2017
6. Normal menstrual cycle and irregular menstrual cycle causes and treatment menstrual cycle, Elawoman - 2017
7. 6 do's and don'ts while measuring with bbt chart - precautions while using bbt chart BBT, Elawoman - 2017
8. Steps to check cervical position and cervical mucus cervix position, Elawoman - 2017
Was this page helpful?
Leave a Comment
Thanks for your Comment.
It will go live post Approval.
The information displayed on this webpage covers general information on several medical conditions, fertility treatments, IVF ICSI, surrogacy procedure, home remedies, and their respective treatments. The exclusive purpose of the displayed information is for the sake of general understanding and it has been collected from open sources which heavily rely on research and laboratory tests. However, the information shared here should not be considered as a medical advice or an alternative to consultation with a registered medical practitioner or licensed healthcare professional.
It is not advised to self-diagnose or treat any medical condition or disease following the information given in this article. We insist you to consult a registered practitioner and never try to replace their advice or discontinue treatment in between by relying solely on the information obtained. External links to different websites as well as videos given on the website serve the purpose of sharing knowledge only. Ela being an Independent Medical Information platform is neither responsible nor guarantees the authenticity, reliability, and accuracy of these videos and websites in any way. We do not intend the information displayed here to be used for a medical emergency, if you seek medical attention for yourself (or any other person with whom you want to share the information with), we advise you to directly get in touch with the hospital or the doctor.