Birth Control Implant is a very thin matchstick looking device implanted on the arm which helps her to control unwanted pregnancy. They are also known as Nexplanon and Implanon, an advanced version of Nexplanon. In this article, we bring you all the general and technical information on Birth Control Implants and why they are considered to be the most effective birth control methods around the globe.
What is a Birth Control Implant?
Birth Control Implant is a very small birth control device which is inserted under the skin of the upper arm of a woman to control or regulate unwanted pregnancy. They are simultaneously famous as Nexplanon and Implanon although they are two of the leading brands of birth control implants. The shelf life of these implants are normally 4 years in maximum and they prove to be one of the hassle free ways to control pregnancy.
How does Birth Control Implant work?
Birth Control Implant releases an anti-pregnancy hormone named progestin and prevent fertilization. After it is implanted by a medical practioner, the effect of this device can be seen. The hormones released by birth control implant works in various ways
1. Controls ovulation : Progestin hormones create a barrier for the eggs to leave ovaries and thus ovulation does not occur and so pregnancy
2. Thickens cervical mucous : With the effect of progestin hormones, the cervical mucous get thicker and thicker in consistency which accordingly prevent sperm to enter into the fallopian tube. An unfertilized egg cannot lead to pregnancy and thus birth control implants help preventing pregnancy.
3. Changes endometrium : The hormones in Nexplanon and Implanon prevents uterus lining or endometrium from getting thick. Normally during ovulation, the uterus lining thickens itself to help the embryo attach properly. Without a proper uterus lining due to these birth control implants, pregnancy does not occur.
Benefits of Birth Control Implants
1. Highly effective : With birth control implants your chance of pregnancy becomes very low. Research on Nexplanon shows that is 99% safe and assured.
2. Convenient to carry : Once the birth control implant is in, it is very comfortable to carry around until it is removed. You do not need to worry about unsafe sex and run to pharmacy with Nexplanon or Implanon implanted in you
3. Contains only one hormone : Birth control implants have only one hormone- progestin which does not affect your health much. Other birth control methods have progestin along with estrogen. Many women face problems with estrogen as they have weird side effects on body sometimes.
4. Reversible : Birth control implants are reversible. That means once you remove Nexplanon or Implanon, you do not need to wait for a long time to balance your body and get pregnant. You can try to conceive just after its removal.
Risks and Side effects of Birth Control Implants
Nexplanon vs. Implanon- the best one
Although Implanon is the advanced version of Nexplanon, their manufacturer is replacing Implanon with Nexplanon as Nexplanon is considered safer than Implanon. Nexplanon comes with an x ray technique which allows the doctor to find the device during removal, which is not there in Implanon.
How to remove a Birth Control Implant?
Birth control implants can’t be or should not be removed at home without a proper medical attention. The removal procedure is similar like insertion. The doctor gives you a shot to numb the area and make minor cut in the inserted place to remove the implant. It is safe and easy.
Things to know before using Nexplanon and Implanon
Avoid using Nexplanon and Implanon if you experience-
Hope we are able to solve your queries in regard to birth control implants. Follow Ela woman for regular updates on fertility health and treatments.
This article explains about female condoms including, How to use Female Condoms, its effectiveness, disadvantages and benefits in a pictorial way.
Help yourself with knowing which birth control pills are right for you along with their types, names and associated risks and benefits through this article.